Monday, August 16, 2021

Mixed feelings

WOW! It's been twenty years since we invaded Afghanistan in our fight against the Taliban and I'm not sure how I feel about the current situation right now with them taking over nearly every providence in Afghanistan now. I feel so much for the women and children over there and then at the same time I am reminded of the Afghan solders (not all, but many) that turned their backs on the American military there training, teaching and working with them and them killing our young men and women. Many of those Afghan soldiers were supported by some of these women (again, not all, but some). You can see where I am conflicted. We lost so many young men and women and you, my son, being one of them. They didn't want us there to start with and now they they (obviously not the Taliban) are begging us to rescue them or bring them here. I personally believe with the way they are jumping the fences at the airport in Kabul and jumping on the planes with no security that we are setting ourselves up for potential terrorist attacks again in the United States and after the longest war in history so far, I'm afraid we are heading there again. I'm sorry there are innocent people stuck in that life, I truly am, but that country has always been at war and in my humble opinion, they always will be. Why should we continue to sacrifice our young men and women and spend our country's money when the moment we begin to withdraw the Taliban begin to take over again and total and utter chaos takes over. So was this last twenty years in vain? I pray not. I pray my son did not lose his life in vain. I pray that all the other young men and women did not lose their lives in vain. It's hard enough every day to wake up knowing I have to face this world without my precious son and only child on this earth, but to think it was for no good reason just adds salt to a forever open wound. It's hard enough without watching all this play out all over the news and thinking about this fact that it truly could have been for nothing. My heart feels like it breaks all over again for a completely different reason. It's truly hard to comprehend. I don't pretend to completely understand what all goes into the decisions or considerations that go into making decisions to withdraw troops from a hostile enviornment like Afghanistand especially at the end of the longest and deadliest war in history. I do, however, have to believe I would have taken into account that in the summer the Taliban is active and in the winter the retreat. Why wouldn't we wait just a few more months and wait until the weather got colder and let them retreat so that maybe things wouldn't be so volatile? I'm not saying they wouldn't have still attempted to take over, but maybe, just maybe things wouldn't be this heightened. I just think there could have been a better way to have handled things than the way this went down. I mean, we are supposed to have highly intellegent people in high places in our government, right? Well, there ya go. I pray all our American representatives and military over there get home safely and soon and if that country insists on fighting forever, then let them fight, but stop sending our men and women over there to fight an endless fight and losing the lives of our men and women for what feels like for no good reason. It hurts all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment