Thursday, April 2, 2020

Being Quarantined

During this unprecedented time of COVID 19 (Novel Coronavirus), we all find ourselves being quarantined in our homes with whatever family we are living with at this time.  I won't lie, I love working from home.  I would do it everyday if I could.  Working from home with my husband also working from home has been even better (at least for me).  Working from home with our 78 year old father with severe Dementia and advancing Alzheimer's brings an entirely different element to our working from home situation. 
I have to say that for the most part it has gone very well.  There is the challenge of making sure he is active and engaged and still get my work done, but fortunately this week things have slowed down slightly with work and the weather being nice enough to walk around the block or two after we eat lunch.  However, on busier days and certainly with bad weather or colder weather makes it a bit harder to do this.  When I have lots of reporting and/or conference calls I try to find tasks he can do around the house or put on Heartland for him to watch. 
Bless his heart though, he doesn't do his tasks well on his own and struggles with how to operate the vacuum cleaner.  He is unsteady on his feet so anything he would have to do that requires him to carry or hold something while doing his task as proven to be a bit unsafe for him so I have to watch him like a hawk or he will fall. 
We have our set up for our home office set pretty well.  Tebo took the home office and I have set up all my monitors, etc. on the dining room table.  Now, I do have to admit, this stuff being out all day and all night is driving me somewhat insane, but it's our new normal for now so I'm trying not to look this way any more than I have to.  Some days I handle it just fine and other days, well, let's just say daddy isn't the only challenge I find myself facing. 😏  Never the less, we are making it work.
I haven't left the house once since our company required us to work from home (we are in week 3) and I am not complaining at all.  Tebo has gone out a couple of times to either stock us up with more groceries and twice he ordered curb side service at our favorite local restaurants and daddy rode with him, but they didn't even have to get out of the car.  I know some people are going stir crazy, but this girl is not.  I love being home.
I will say there has been one struggle and that is we have eliminated our Sunday family dinner time for now to protect mainly daddy, but ourselves as well.  That I really don't like.  Also, sadly one of Chad's buddies from school passed away and we were unable to go to visitation or have any of his friends in town come over as we cannot chance daddy catching this virus.  That part I will admit has been hard, but necessary.
The other thing about being quarantined at home with daddy is the late afternoon/evenings.  He has sundowners really bad and he gets very ugly.  Oh, why sugar coat it, he can be a real ass-hole and that is hard for people who know him to believe, but trust me, I would never refer to him like that if it weren't true.  He tends to bless me with most of this behavior (which is fine) so that is hard.  I typically do most everything for him as Tebo not only has a very stressful job, but he does all the cooking and helps with daddy when he can.  The problem lately is daddy doesn't want me too far away or out of his sight.  It's been a bit odd.  If we are sitting on the patio and I come in for something (even to go to the bathroom), he comes looking for me and won't go back outside unless I go with him.  That's somewhat new'ish over the last few weeks and while it is sweet, sometimes it would just be nice to get something done without him hovering over me (parents of small children, does this sound familiar?).  We are working through this as well and finding ways to distract him long enough for me to get little things done when needed.
I've tried to get him to do different things to help him be busy like puzzles or games, etc. and he is not interested.  He doesn't willingly go for walks, but if I present it as him keeping me company he tends to be more willing to do go.  It's just like a family with young kids at home and trying to keep them busy, you have to get creative with convincing them to do certain things, it's no different with him.
Overall, I can't complain.  I have two of my favorite men at home with me every day as long as we are under this mandate to stay at home and I know I will miss it when we are required to return to work and Pace opens back up for daddy.  Until then I will find those nuggets of special moments and enjoy them and treasure them.  I will also do my best to navigate "Walter" when he shows up.  You might say a little prayer for me with that.  "Walter" is not very nice and after a long day of juggling work and keeping him busy can at times take a toll making it hard to be patient with him. 















No comments:

Post a Comment