Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Organized Life

I had a friend ask me how I stay organized and things always seem clean and put together at our house.  I just explained that I cannot function in chaos and clutter and I can only relax when things are clean and are in order.  She then asked how she could get her life more organized where she could find time to clean her own house.  First she mentioned it would be impossible because she has kids.  I explained that it could be done, it will just take structure and getting used to keeping a routine for things.
So I thought it might be helpful for others to know how I do things and maybe they could take part or all of what I do and apply it to their lives if they are in search of how to get more organized and have less clutter.
It's true, I don't have kids living at home (well, just a 27 year old for now, but that will change soon) so I'm not spending my time cleaning up after children, but I still have my fair share of cleaning and organizing to do on a regular basis.  I did have my son as a single mom for 18 years and managed to always have a clean house and stay organized so it can be done.
First, if you are just starting on this journey of becoming more organized I would suggest making a list.  You might initially need some help to get things in your home organized and cleaned, but once you have the initial cleaning, purging, and organizing done the maintaining part will be a breeze (if you keep it up).
Start with a huge clean up through out your home.  Every room should be cleaned and everything needs to have a home.  If you cannot find a home for something evaluate whether you really need it and if you do, you may find something you have put away that you don't need and you could replace this item in that place and get rid of the one you don't really need.  I'm guilty of holding on to things far too long at times thinking I may need it one day.  I've since changed my thinking and if I haven't used or worn it in a year, it's time to purge it. 
Once the house is clean start in closets.  Something I have found that has made me feel like things are more organized is using all the same hangers in the closet.  I love it!  I would begin with purging clothes you haven't worn in a while and thin out your inventory.  Once you have done that organize your clothes that works for you.  What works best for me is color organizing.  I start with white and go to black.  I keep my pants the same order and dresses as well.  Then organize your shoes.  I have a new process for this now.  I used to keep all my shoes in the original shoe box, but my husband came home one day with clear plastic shoe boxes and while I was apprehensive at first, it has turned out to be the best thing!  I think organize my shoes by style and color.  It just looks so much better to me.
Once you have done your closet, make a list to do all closets in the house.  You will be amazed at how just that makes you feel more organized and will likely help you purge things you really do not need.  The next thing on your list should be cabinets and I would start in the kitchen area.  That seems to be where things get out of control the fastest in our house anyway. 
The key to this process is making a list and making your way through that list regardless what order you choose to go in.
Once these tasks have been completed you are more than halfway through.  The biggest key to keeping this organization and cleanliness is to maintain it everyday.  You may be thinking, there is no way I can do this everyday.  That's the beauty of this, you don't have to do everything mentioned above everyday.  If you maintain the day to day stuff the rest will remain until you get the itch to purge again.
Set a schedule for things like laundry, yard work/flower beds, etc.  Here is what a typical day for me looks like (again, no younger kids at home so things may look differently for those that do have kids at home).  Each morning as soon as I get up I make the bed.  Get ready for work and before leaving the house I gather any glass that was left from the night before and put them in the dishwasher.  I pick up any clothes that may have been left out from the night before and put them where they need to go and I ensure that all my bathroom items used to get ready are put away so all counter tops are clear of clutter and things are put away.  I go to work and once I return home at the end of the day and if we cook at home as soon as we finish eating I clean up the kitchen and make sure no dishes or pots are left out.  Each Sunday I do laundry.  Once they are completed in the washer I immediately put them in the dryer.  As soon as they dryer quits I immediately fold and put all clothes away.  If this is done as they are complete you will find that you don't get as behind and things are still clean and organized.  Saturdays are typically reserved for yard work/flower beds, errands, etc.  Depending on weather these days may swap or if I am out of town for any reason I will make adjustments, but for the most part I continue this process each day. 
Again, the key is maintaining day to day so that you do not get behind and make a list.  Once everything on your list is checked off you will love that feeling of accomplishment and then you can relax and enjoy it.
If you do have kids at home that are old enough to help, give them a list and teach them how to check their list off and they will hopefully grow up to be organized adults.  They will learn from you and take your lead so you have a chance to really enforce those habits early on.  You will not regret it.
Happy Organizing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment