Monday, November 4, 2019

Long days

We all have long days and sometimes they are long for different reasons.  Today was an exhausting day, but somehow we still managed to laugh and have a good time.  It started with leaving the house just before 6:00 am to sign daddy in at the hospital for a stress test and ultrasound.  Of course, in "Tami & Daddy" fashion we were about 30 minutes early.  We got all signed in and got him started for our 4 to 5 hour visit.  I did some work for work while he was in the back and shut it down when he came back out.  This went back and forth about every 30 minutes to up to an hour at a time.  During this time an older lady came in with a 9 week old baby girl and the nurse was pushing the stroller for her.  She looked like she was struggling so I decided to go over and tell her if she needed any help that I would be happy to help her.  The next statement wasn't what I was expecting, but again, she didn't know me.  She said, "you don't have a prison record do you?"  I said, no ma'am.  She then informed me that, that was her foster baby and she would welcome the help.  They called her back and I took the baby.  I was holding her and she got fussy, but I kept rocking her and she went to sleep.  Her foster mom, Ms. Susie, came back out and you could tell she was frustrated and out of whack if you will.  Turns out she was having a stress test as well and the IV they put in them was radioactive and she couldn't be around the baby for at least 3 hours after her system was clear of all the medication.  She frantically started calling around, but said she has only lived here 6 weeks and didn't know anyone.  I said well, I will help where I can, but since daddy had the same medication the baby couldn't be around him either.  So I sat across from daddy and kept rocking the baby while she slept.  About an hour or so later Ms. Susie came back out and her friend showed up to take the baby.  I walked down with her still holding this sleeping little girl until we met up with her friend and then off they went.  Just as we got back to the waiting room she realized she sent the baby off with her ID and wallet.  We laughed and she said it would be fine. 
Once she went back for her longer visit back daddy came out and was talking to an Army Veteran.  Daddy went back for his last 20 minute visit back and the Army Veteran kept me company.  Kept me a lot company.  LOL!
Once daddy was all done and we were fixing to leave Ms. Susie came out and asked me to put her number in my phone and text her so she would have mine in case she needed help with the baby again.  :) 
I did that and daddy and I were on our way.  I took him to the Cracker Barrel for lunch and as we were waiting on our meal I realized, oh no!  If Ms. Susie sent her friend home with the baby and her wallet and ID then where were her car keys.  I text her while we were having lunch and asked about her keys, but as of 3:00 this afternoon I haven't gotten a response from her.  I can only hope that Ms. Susie and baby Darby were reunited quickly and smoothly.  For the record, I have to say, I did enjoy holding that sweet little girl and rocking her to sleep.  Makes me sad that our current grandbaby is so far away. 
It's funny how just sitting in the waiting room at the hospital you can get connected with total strangers and hopefully help someone in the process. 
Oh, and Ms. Susie is 72 years old and recently single and still fosters babies.  How amazing is that?  It definitely made me feel a bit inadequate when it comes to doing good deeds.  She is a pretty great person to do what she does and now doing this alone.  She has been a foster mom for more than 34 years.  Simply amazing.  My hat is off to you Ms. Susie and baby Darby is a lucky little girl to have you caring for (& spoiling) her until a family relative can get the adoption process completed.  The world could use more Ms. Susie's.
We are tired, but grateful.  Daddy did good and we have made a long day a great day.  Lots of laughter during the waiting and during lunch.  Now just a little resting at home before starting dinner. 
Life is good even on long days.



At Chad's wedding


Daddy "texting" in the waiting room, because Stacy and I were texting. (LOL)



No comments:

Post a Comment