Sunday, January 12, 2020

Role Reversal

You know how it feels like people never tell you everything you need to know when you have a child?  Well, that holds true when your parent becomes basically your child.  We moved daddy in with us full time September 1, 2019 and it's been both a challenge and a blessing at the same time. 
It's actually a bit odd as I find myself worrying about him when I'm not with him just as I did with Chad. 
I worked from home the first month he was here and then the Lord opened a door for our old neighbor and friend, Dawn P, to have the opportunity to become his caregiver when I had to be in the office while we waited on the painful process of getting him approved for Medicaid (by the way, that process is not for the faint at heart and I would think impossible without an Elder attorney). 
It truly was a blessing for him to have this transition until Medicaid came through and he was eligible for the Pace of the Ozarks program.
I had to stay with him the first 3 days as he was getting assessments and had to answer questions for them and I was there to insure the answers were correct/accurate and to give my take on how he is when he is home with us and what needs he or we may have.  It was long, but productive days and I have to say that so far the entire experience has been very positive.
He loves to socialize and he will be the first to own that, so this experience and option for now is perfect for him. 
While the days are a bit long, he does seem to enjoy the friends he is making and working out and let's not forget, all the attention he is getting from the ladies.  LOL!
The very first day we were there we had already completed some of the assessments and were going through the main social area and this little 84 year old lady, Miss Frances, pointed to him and in a very high pitched sweet voice says "I like your hat".  Daddy was wearing his Recon Marine Corps hat that Stacy had gotten him and that's literally all it took for him to stop what he was doing and go over and proceed to tell her thank you, but he didn't like hers.  She was wearing an Arkansas Razorback ball cap.  LOL!  He told her he would bring her a TN Vol hat when he comes back.  Well, the next day he forgot, but not to be forgotten the next day.  He pulled out 2 TN hats and a red Marine hat for her to choose from.  I put them in his TN bag and off we went.  He let Miss Frances decide which hat she would take and while she kept all 3 for most of the day, she finally decided on one.  She has only forgotten to wear it one day since she received it.
He participated in bible study last week and really enjoyed that.  He gave his testimony of when he jumped from the plane in the Marine Corps and his chute didn't open and at that precise moment his mother and grandmother were praying for him.  He retold that story to me at least 3 times on our 20 minute drive home.   It was really cute and sweet to hear how much he enjoyed that day.
They feed him well (and we all know how much he loves that) and all the staff and "participants" are warm, friendly, and welcoming. 
This has truly been a blessing to finally have all this approved and have him in a place that I know he is truly taken care of when I have to be in the office.
It would be my hope that at some point I can retire and stay home with him, but that's not a financial option yet, but we are working towards that goal.  Honestly it seems to be good for him to have this outlet and to be active and social during the day so maybe this is more of a blessing in a way that I'm unable to retire right now.  Maybe the Lord is allowing him to bless others and be blessed at the same time and I would just get in the way of that. 
All I know is I am blessed to have the opportunity to help care for him right now and I pray I'm doing everything right, well, as right as I can.  I'm sure there are mistakes being made and will be made, but I am truly trying with all my heart to do the best for him.  I pray he knows that one day even when he gets frustrated with things I do or don't do. 
Reversed roles with our parents is tricky, hard, and rewarding at the same time.  Just like being a parent I suppose.



Daddy at home 2019

Catfish treat for not leaving the Dr. office when Dr. was late 2020

Sushi 2020 What? (he really had catfish, but he did try it)

Nap time at home

Hit hat options for Miss Frances at Pace of the Ozarks 2020

Tebo teaching him to fill the bird feeders for his new "job" around the house 2019

At home, nap time again

Waiting to be served....  2019

Checking out his Christmas gift from Paige & Rodney (blanket) 2019

Daddy & Dawn P (do not know how to rotate)

Daddy & Lindsay (Dawn P's oldest) at her pep rally Rogers High School 2019

Daddy being silly 2019

Daddy with a large deer at the Christmas Lights at Crystal Bridges 2019

Me picking up our gangster daddy from Dawn P's house 2019

Daddy nap time at home again 2019

Daddy reading one of his letters 2019

Daddy helping at Wreaths Across America - Fayetteville Dec. 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment