Tuesday, March 31, 2015

And then ANOTHER...

Sadly today another veteran lost his battle with PTSD...  While it seems the world is focused on how many "Selfies" a Kardashian is taking or which "Housewife" is fighting with another.  While people are focused on celebrity relationships and if McDonald's plans to serve breakfast all day somewhere, we have veterans dying.  Also, there is still a war out there.  We have military being killed in combat and coming home still fighting a war here at home.

You do see more attention to PTSD, but are we doing enough?  Are we just talking about it or are we actually doing something?  I don't know the answer to that, but what I do know is that one more is far too many.
It breaks my heart that these young men and women come home wounded physically and wounded with invisible scars and there seems to be nothing we can do to help them out of this dark place.

There is so much I want to do, but I don't have the knowledge or training to help them.  I know my heart is heavy for them and I would do anything I could to help them, but that isn't enough.
What can we do?  What are we doing that isn't working?  I don't know, all I do know is that I feel such heartache when I read another article of another veteran that sees no other way out other than suicide.  It just shouldn't be that way.  They have sacrificed so much for all of us and yet this epidemic continues.

Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful for the attention PTSD is getting.  It's far overdue for sure, but attention without action isn't going to get the job done.
So many of Chad's brothers in arms are actively trying to reach out to their fellow brothers and I think that is great.  There are obviously more out there that need someone.

I don't know what the answer is, but I know there has to be more we can do.
My heart breaks for all these young men and women.  I can't begin to understand or know what they go through every day, but I know I'm grateful and I care about each and every one of them.

For all those that served with or around Chad, I love you and I'm here for you.  If you need someone and you don't want to burden your loved ones, you can turn to me.  I will be here for you.  It will not be added burden to me and it will not upset me.  I would much rather talk to you over the phone or via text or whatever than to read an article about you or attend your funeral.  Please, if you are feeling helpless turn to someone, anyone!  There is hope.  You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment