Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day 2014

First things first, to all who have served this country in any military capacity, past and present, THANK YOU!  Thank you for your service and sacrifices you have made and continue to make on our behalf.  Thank you feels so inadequate for how I truly feel in my heart, but those are the only words I know to use to describe it.  Personally, I think every day should be your day.  For me and my family, I know we feel gratitude daily for all you have done and continue to do for us, but on this day, I love that our Nation comes together to honor and thank you formally.
Today is the day to celebrate Veterans.  It is YOUR day and no one else's day.  Now, I say that, but let me clarify one thing.  Those spouses and parents and family members that are supporting our military deserve a huge thanks as well.  It's not easy to sit idly by while your loved ones are in harms way, but you do it (I've done it) and you deserve a huge thank you as well, but today, we should focus on our Veterans.  The ones that have and continue to put their very lives on the line for all of us.  They are doing the job that few are willing to do and for that some take great criticism and that hurts my heart. 
I can't count the times I've heard people say, well, they signed up for it.  They knew what they were getting into (my son included).  Well, yes, they did sign up, but at 18 and 19 years old, I can tell you with all certainty that they didn't truly know what they were signing up for, but they learned very quickly and they had to grow up even faster.  For some, this is their first time away from home and family and that in and of itself is hard, but they push through and they become Marines, Navy Men/Women, Soldiers, Coast Guardsman (I know my terminology isn't accurate, but you get my point), and National Guard.  This is certainly not an easy process these young men and women go through, but they do it and many without complaint.  It really does irritate me when people out there tend to take the fact that "they signed up" for an okay reason for something terrible should happen to them and their families.  If it weren't for these brave young men and women "signing up" there would be a Draft (again).  Then some of those sitting around so eager to make that statement having to serve unwillingly and I have no doubt if they answered their Nation's call, they would do it with pride and honor.  If you have ever been guilty of uttering those words, I would challenge you to stop and think what things would have been like after 9/11 when our country was under attack and we went to war (again) and we didn't have these brave young men and women to "sign up" in our place.  We may have all been on the list to be drafted.  So maybe, just maybe, you could stop and consider that before making that type of statement and better yet, if you hear someone make that statement, you could very nicely remind them of that fact.
I, for one, could not be more proud of the military men and women I know and some I've come to call my "bonus kids".  Some have now returned to civilian life (which is no picnic by the way) and some continue to serve today.  I love each and every one of them and there is nothing I wouldn't do for them.  It is my hope and prayer that each day they know and believe that my family and I love them, support them, and thank them for all they do for us on a daily basis.

HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY 2014
God bless each and every one of you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment