Saturday, February 1, 2014

As for my family, we will never forget...

We continue to have young men and women on the front lines in battle.  They are experiencing things young people their ages should not have to experience.  I can't speak for all branches of the military, but I can speak for the U.S. Marine Corps.  These men and women are the essence of the Band of Brothers.  It doesn't stop just with each other.  The young men in my son's unit continue to not only honor Chad in every way they possibly can, but they continue to make sure my family is ok.  After 3 years I rarely have a week go by that I don't hear from at least one of them just checking in and making sure we are ok.  This is a life long bond people.  It isn't something they did right after Chad's passing and shortly after their returned home from Afghanistan, it is something they have obviously committed to do for the remainder of their days on this earth.  I can't give this gesture justice as there truly are not words to describe this efficiently.

I've met more friends through this journey that have lifted us up and encouraged us on a regular basis.  We continue to come in contact with even more of Chad's battle buddies who we have adopted as well and hope to not only help through their own journey, but to take something from them to help us learn more about how to help more veterans and their families.

Someone shared this with me today and I thought it might be helpful to someone to know we are not forgetting about what you and your brothers in arms are living with.  I hope this isn't painful for my "bonus sons" to see and read, but rather encouragement to see how far they have come and how proud we are to call them family and see how they are overcoming something that I am sure felt impossible on December 1, 2010.  We have not forgotten what you went through and we will never be able to repay all you do for us daily to make sure we are ok and carrying on Chad's name and honoring him along with our family with all you do.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/42-28122580/afghanistan-us-marines-cope-with-combat-stress

It is not only my promise, but my commitment to all who are suffering with PTSD or living with or love someone with PTSD to help and encourage if it is just with words, prayers, or a shoulder to lean on.  I'm not a doctor and I'm not formally trained in counseling or helping with PTSD, I'm just a mom who lost her son and is watching her "bonus sons" (both military and civilian) suffer as a result of losing her son.

I just want to help in any way possible no matter how big or small.  I know I won't make a huge impact on the world and I'm not trying to.  However, I would like to at least make one person feel better and if I can help more than that I will consider that a bonus.

Thank you for reading and if you have encouraging words or anything that might bring a smile to someones face that is suffering silently please visit our newest Face Book pagehttps://www.facebook.com/PTSDihelp?ref=hl and post your kindness and words of love and support to our troops, veterans, and their loved ones.

The more we reach out and the more we get the word out, the better chance we have of helping these young men and women.  It is the very least we can do for all they have done and continue to do for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment